When deciding to become an Airbnb Host, it's important to understand the laws that apply to hosting in your area. As a platform and marketplace, we do not provide legal advice, but do want to offer some information that may better help you understand relevant laws and regulations for hosting in the National Capital Territory (NCT) of Delhi. This list is not exhaustive and should not be considered legal advice, but it should help you get a good idea of the local laws. If you have questions, you can contact the Licensing Unit of the Delhi Police operating under the Government of NCT of Delhi, other urban local bodies of Delhi, or consult a local lawyer.
To begin, you need to check if you need permits and licenses to offer hotel, homestay, guest house, or bed & breakfast, etc. services to guests in your state. If you do, you must obtain these permits and licenses prior to listing on Airbnb.
Hotels, motels, guest houses, hostels, lodging houses, and boarding houses
If you are planning to list any hotels, motels, guest houses, lodging houses, boarding houses, or residential hostels in Delhi on Airbnb, you should first obtain a license from the Delhi Police permitting you to operate such premises. There is an online licensing process and accommodation providers can log into the Unified Portal for Licensing of Eating/Lodging & Boarding Establishments in Delhi website to start or renew applications. You can also review the guidelines for filing an application for grant of license, along with a checklist of necessary documents. You may also visit the Delhi Police E-Licensing website.
Homestays and bed & breakfasts
The NCT of Delhi (Incredible India) Bed and Breakfast Establishments Act, 2007 (“B&B Act”) provides for registration of homestays and bed and breakfast (B&Bs). Registration under the B&B Act is recommended but not mandatory. Under the B&B Act, a B&B is defined as an establishment which provides lodging and food services to guests. If you intend to list a B&B, you must ensure it is on a premise only used for residential purposes and that the owner physically resides there. As part of the B&B Act you are required to:
- Ensure that only two-thirds of the total bedrooms, consisting of minimum one double bedroom and maximum five double bedrooms, may be let out to guests
- Ensure that each bedroom has an attached bathroom with hygiene facilities fit for habitation of guests of the B&B at all times
- Maintain a detailed (electronic) record of all the guests that arrive, display the same at the establishment, and send this information to concerned local authorities and the police every fortnight, on the 15th and last day of every month
- Obtain police verification of all employees working in the establishment
Various other obligations of owners are mentioned under the Act. Please visit the Delhi Department of Tourism website for detailed information on the application submission process, and a list of Frequently Asked Questions relating to registration of establishments under the B&B Act.
Business and trade licensing
In addition to the licenses above, there may be other trade licenses applicable to you. Depending upon the kind of activities you offer, the type of trade license may vary. You can read a little more about them in the Business Licensing in New Delhi article.
Hosts on Airbnb are responsible for ensuring that all their business and trade licenses are up to date and renewed in a timely manner.
- Experience HostBusiness Licensing in New DelhiLaws, rules, licensing – here’s some helpful information to get you started learning about what you might need to be an Airbnb Experience Ho…
- Marketing emails in KoreaProvide, personalise, measure and improve our advertising and marketing to the Korean community.
- HostResponsible hosting in BhutanWe’ve put together this article to help Hosts on Airbnb become familiar with hosting responsibilities and to provide a general overview of d…