I believe that I have never encountered a guest that had such a concern about her fire safety. When we purchased the building we had to meet codes that are established by the state of Ohio. So we had to provide additional stairways from the back side of the building. This guest did not seem to see the door that led to the outside from the upstairs in addition to the door that she entered into. There are two very visible exits. I have a smoke alarm that was actually provided by airbnb, I know that if the battery is low there is a sound that is emitted in order to tell us that we need a new battery. There was no such sound so it was assumed by me that it was working well. We never have claimed to have a full kitchen but actually a gourmet chef from Detroit prepared a dinner for his girlfriend with the equipment that we have provided. Most people do not want to be cooking much when they are traveling. We have a fridge, a microwave and a toaster oven in addition to a coffee maker an coffee press and tea pot. I reached out to this guest in order to have communication but she did not seem to be available to have a face to face talk. I did enter the rooms before I left for the day, one day after 2 pm, in order to take out any garbage and check and see if they had enough amenities. I feel that everyone that has a BNB would agree that it quite ordinary. I did appreciate her concern about a fire extinguisher that is current and did take out the extinguisher and have it recharged. Our fire department is just one block over and they normally have a yearly check and I have passed every year. I do thank her for the information about fire safety.