Experiences involving transportation in China
These information pages can help you get started in learning about some of the laws and registration requirements that may apply to your experiences on Airbnb. These pages include summaries of some of the rules that may apply to different sorts of activities, and contain links to government resources that you may find helpful.
Please understand that these information pages are not comprehensive, and are not legal advice. If you are unsure about how local laws or this information may apply to you or your Experience, we encourage you to check with official sources or seek legal advice.
Please note that we don’t update this information in real time, so you should confirm that the laws or procedures have not changed recently.*
Do I need a special license or permit to drive my guests to and from the places of my experience or my accommodation listing if I do not charge them for the ride?
You do not need a special license or permit to drive your guests as long as you are not separately charging them for the ride.
In order to drive guests without getting an extra license or permit, you:
- cannot separately charge them for the transportation you provide; and
- should clearly mention in your Listing that transportation will be provided “at no charge.”
If you want to charge your guests for the ride, you will need to get a special license.
If I want to charge for the ride, do I need a special license or permit to drive guests to and from the places of my experience or my accommodation listing?
If you are separately charging your guests for the ride, you will need to apply for one or more of the following licenses or permits:
- Apply for a “Road Transportation Operation License” (“道路运输证”) and operate as a traditional taxi;
- Apply for an “Online-booking Taxi License” (“网络预约出租汽车运输证”) and take online orders;
- Please note that some cities require an online car-hailing platform driver to have a local Hukou and the vehicle to be registered locally, such as in Beijing, Shanghai, and Tianjin. Some cities only require the vehicle to be registered, with a local driver holding either a local hukou or a local residence permit, such as in Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Chengdu, Ningbo, Nanjing and Hangzhou. Please refer to the relevant city regulations to confirm detailed requirements for drivers and vehicles.
For options 2 and 3 above, the ride transaction must be handled through a licensed online booking or car-sharing platform, such as Didi. Prior to applying for any of the 3 licenses/permits above, we encourage you to check with your local transportation department or consult a lawyer.
How else can I help my guests get to and from the places of my experience or my accommodation listing?
How you handle your experience and your guests’ transportation needs is entirely up to you. You may choose to:
- give them a ride for free;
- separately charge them for the ride if you have the necessary licenses or permits;
- advise your guests to get their own transportation to and from your experience; or
- get them a Didi, taxi, or other state licensed vehicle with a licensed driver.
Is there anything else I should think about?
If your experience will involve combining transportation with another activity (for example, serving or providing alcohol, food or a guided tour of the city), please take a look at our other information sections to work out if any other rules might apply to your activity.
*Airbnb is not responsible for the reliability or correctness of the information contained in any links to third party sites (including any links to legislation and regulations).
- Experience HostGuiding tours in British ColumbiaLaws, rules, licensing – here’s some helpful information to get you started learning about what you might need to be an Airbnb Experience Ho…
- Experience HostExperiences involving food in SingaporeHosting Airbnb Experiences is fun, but there are some obligations and rules that apply to different activities. We’ve gathered some resource…
- Experience HostExperiences involving food in DetroitHosting Airbnb Experiences is fun but there are some obligations and rules that apply to different activities. We’ve gathered some resources…