Suggestions will show after typing in the search input. Use the up and down arrows to review. Use enter to select. If the selection is a phrase, that phrase will be submitted to search. If the suggestion is a link, the browser will navigate to that page.

Canton of Valais

Join a local Host Club: Want to connect with Hosts in your area to get tips and advice? It’s easy—join your community’s official Host Group on Facebook!

You can read this article in German, French, Italian, or English.

This article provides specific information about local laws that apply to people who host their homes in the Canton of Valais. Just like our country article for Switzerland, it’s your responsibility to verify and comply with any obligations that apply to you as a host. This article can serve as a starting point or place you can come back to if you have questions but it isn’t exhaustive and it doesn’t constitute legal or tax advice. It’s a good idea to check to make sure laws and procedures are current.

Some of the laws that might affect you are complicated. Contact the Canton of Valais directly or consult a local advisor, such as an attorney or tax professional, if you have questions.

Tourism tax

The Tourism Act of February 9, 1996 established tourism taxes within the Canton of Valais, which may vary from one municipality to another. Generally speaking, there is a spa tax (Kurtaxe) and a tourist tax (Beherbergungstaxe). Check the regulations for additional information about the Tourism Act.

The spa tax applies to any guest who stays within the territory of a recognized transportation association (Verkehrsverein) with the exception of children under 6 years of age.

Guest card

In many locations, guests receive a guest card to prove payment of the spa tax. They can use the card for special discounts and free services, such as public transportation.


As a host, you’ll also need to collect the tourist tax whenever you receive any payment for accommodation. The amount of this tax may vary from municipality to municipality and there are certain exemptions. For example, you don’t need to collect the accommodation tax for children under 6 years and children 6-16 years of age pay half. In some municipalities, a tourism promotion tax is levied instead of the tourist tax. All tax rates are per guest per night.

Contact your local tourist association or municipality to find out which rules apply to you.

Did this article help?

Related articles

Get help with your reservations, account, and more.
Log in or sign up